Saturday, April 2, 2011

My First Post

Up until about six months ago, I was happily writing stories and columns as the food editor of the daily Deseret News in Salt Lake City. I also had a blog, Flavors, on the newspaper's website, Desnews.com.

 But, on Aug. 31, 2010, my world became an upside down cake -- one that doesn't quite come out of the pan right, leaving a doughy mess.  Our new management laid off 43 percent of the staff, including the whole Features department.  I was asked to continue doing my weekly column as a freelancer for the newspaper.

But, after cleaning up the doughy mess, I discovered there's still some tasty cake left of my world. I've spent 17 years as a food writer for daily newspapers, and I still have a lot to say.  So,  here goes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There old friend. I'm thrilled to be your first comment. I'm in Arkansas right now, but headed up your way soon. Spending the summer volunteering at Lake Walcott State Park in southern Idaho.
Looking forward to more of your blogs.

Pat Bean
http://patbean.wordpress.com

Prudy said...

Good morning! Nice to have you back!:)

Anonymous said...

It is nice to hear more from you, Val.

Susan