Saturday, October 6, 2012

Deseret Book's Ladies' Night and More...

Rosemary Potato & Corn Chowder from "Soup's On!"

Today I did two book signings for Deseret Book stores - one in Layton and one in Bountiful during the Ladies' Night event.  I really enjoyed seeing familiar faces such as Julie Williamson, Shauna Lund, Sherrie Howell, Andrea Richards and Tani Anderson.  

The Layton event was pretty laid back. I brought a pot of Harvest Pumpkin Soup and leisurely ladled out sample shots. 

Then it was on to Bountiful, where the store was elbow-to-elbow with shoppers and bargain seekers for Ladies' Night. I sure appreciated my daughter Amy, who helped me serve shots of  Harvest Pumpkin Soup and Rosemary Potato & Corn Chowder.  I ran out a lot sooner than I expected. I had never been to one of these events, and I didn't realize how packed they are! 

I sat next to Gale Sears, and recalled listening on CD to her historical novel, "The Silence of God." It's about the first LDS Church members in Russia, and the challenges they suffered during the Bolshevik Revolution and Communist takeover.  By the end of the night, I bought her latest book, set in China; and she bought my cookbook.  I'm learning that these book signings can be costly just because you become aware of more things you want to buy!

I also learned a little from Gale, who is has done lots of book signings over her long writing career.  As people walked past, she quickly introduced herself and told them about her books.  I liked the way that she engaged people in conversation so easily.

Bakin Bill Johnson
The Rosemary Potato & Corn Chowder recipe got a good workout this weekend. My friend  Bakin' Bill Johnson also served it at his Dutch Oven cooking demo during the Fall Home Show & Spa Expo.

On tap for this week:  The Deseret News Home Show on Friday (4 p.m.) and Bonnie Piggot's Boutique on Saturday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.   And yes, you may see more Harvest Pumpkin Soup and Rosemary Potato & Corn Chowder there as well.


No comments: