Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Daily Dish: Mega Mushroom Soup


Making Rosemary Potato Corn Chowder on Good Things Utah.
I made my Mega Mushroom Soup today on the Daily Dish (video shown here),  and my Rosemary Corn Chowder on Good Things Utah. (video here)  It was windy outside, and I can see that I should have run a comb through my hair before going on the air. Oh well!

I've posted the Rosemary Potato & Corn Chowder on this blog before, but not the Mega Mushroom Soup.  I got the SOS call yesterday that GTU had a last-minute cancellation and needed someone to fill in. I picked the Rosemary Corn Chowder because I'm comfortable with it, since I've done it in a few other classes and demos.  I've  really wanted to demo my French Onion Soup recipe, but I wouldn't have time to slice the onions and caramelize them in the five minute segment allotted on TV. However, I think it would be perfect for my 45-minute cooking demo at the Standard-Examiner's Home Show on March 1, 11 a.m., at the Weber County Fairgrounds.

Here's the Mega Mushroom Soup recipe. The major expense is the package of mixed dried mushrooms (you can usually find them in the produce area of your supermarket). They are around $5 for a one-ounce package. Don't waste your money on dried cremini mushrooms — they are almost the same, flavor-wise, as plain white button mushrooms. I happen to think that porcini mushrooms give off a stronger, more earthy flavor. If you can happen to have a variety of fresh mushrooms, add them t o the mix!
MEGA MUSHROOM SOUP
Prep time: 30 minutes
Makes about 6 1¼ - cup servings

This soup's deep, earthy flavor comes from dried, fresh, and canned mushrooms. You can puree it for a smooth texture, or leave some of the mushrooms chunky. 

1 (1-oz.) pkg. dried mixed wild mushrooms 
2 cans beef (or vegetable) broth 
2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
2 (8-oz.) pkgs fresh sliced cremini or button mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced or chopped
(or 1½ cups frozen chopped onions)
1½ cups cream or half-and-half 
1 small can sliced mushrooms, stems & pieces 
1 tsp. dried rosemary
½ tsp. dried thyme

1. Place dried mushrooms in a microwaveable 3-C. bowl. Pour 1 can of broth over the mushrooms. 

2. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes, or until stock is boiling. Remove from microwave and allow mushrooms to steep in the broth for about 10 minutes.

3. While mushrooms are steeping, melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan on low heat while you slice or chop onion. 

4. Turn up the heat to medium-high and add fresh mushrooms and onion. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring so that the vegetables don't burn.

5. Pour reconstituted mushroom/broth mixture, rosemary, thyme, cooked mushroom/onion mixture and canned mushrooms in blender, making sure to scrape the pan for any browned bits. Puree until smooth. 

6. Pour back into saucepan and stir in remaining can of beef broth and cream. Allow to cook until heated through.  

Options:  For a chunky texture, only puree the reconstituted mushrooms and half of the mushroom/onion mixture.  Also, if fresh wild mushrooms are available, they make a nice addition.


No comments: