|Molten Mug Brownie Photo by Valerie Phillips|
A microwaved brownie in a mug is a quick and easy Valentine's Day treat, as detailed in my Standard-Examiner column yesterday. Here are the directions:
1. Pour a cup of your favorite packaged brownie mix into a mug.
2. Mix it with 1/4 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
3. Zap it in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Pour about 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top of the brownie mixture and zap another minute. (You could also add a tablespoon of cream cheese or a marshmallow at this time.)
5. Let it sit for about 10 minutes so that it can finish cooking on the inside. Serve it while it's still warm.
You've got a rich, gooey chocolate fix that's big enough for two people to share — a romantic form of portion control.And you don't have a mixing bowl or baking pan to wash.
Make sure to choose mug that's microwaveable and at least 12 to 14 ounces. (The one in my photo actually holds about 16 ounces, which gives the batter a lot of room to puff up during cooking. It could overflow a smaller size cup.
I also experimented using vegetable oil instead of butter, and I liked the buttery flavor best.
A glass of cold milk is a good accompaniment.